Friday, October 19, 2012

The Inner Workings

     If you want to test your relationship I have heard that building a home will do that for you.  Psh Never-mind having a son with special needs, you can get through that but the process of building and the choosing and the fighting, can and has split couples up.  We aren't even building yet, and we are already fighting about location and which company to choose, etc.  It is actually quite difficult to build a home for a child that will most likely be in a wheelchair.  There are a lot of choices, and things you can change on a floorplan.. for a price... knocking down a wall here, making the hallways wider, the bathrooms bigger, hard floors instead of carpet, and don't forget we will need a bigger garage.  We have almost narrowed it down to what builder we want, but I would really like to stay in our city we are in now, but that too also comes with a price.
    If you have a child in the same situation let me know what you have done to improve your home. Thanks!

We live in multi-level home, we have 3 staircases inside the home.  Staying in this home is not an option for us for matter how many lifts we got.  So the homes we have been looking at are ramblers.  Here is the kicker, we have to finish the basement for D&K.  I would love to have a room for Declan's therapy too.  I want this to be our last home, so it needs everything!  So now all we have to do is win the lottery to get everything we want!

If you want to look at the floorplan we are leaning towards click the link below. 
House

The two bedroom in the front and the main bath we would combine and make into a mini suite for Declan, and his therapy.  Widen the hallways and doorways, and put a ramp in the garage. The basement we would have a kitchenette and that would pretty much be D&K's domain.  It is a really pretty home, and I just hope we can do it.  It would be really nice not to have to deal with stairs.

Again if you have gone through this process let us know what we are missing.  We are learning as we go.  I am trying to make it as nice as possible for ME... I mean our family...

Also if you know of any grants to help with us getting into this new home, let me know ASAP.  I found tons to help improve our home, but none for helping getting a new one.
Thanks!!
Hug your loved ones, and wish and hope for a cure soon!



P.S.  Declan is doing great and is loving his mom.  I mean not even the grandmas can hold him... it doesn't free up a lot of time for me unfortunately but that's ok.  It takes me longer to do things, but Declan is just so damn cute I can't stop holding him.
Thanks!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment